2020-04-08 18:37:27 • ID: 2170
Grimaldi Scraper from Laugerie basse
This Endscraper was once part of the Collection of Emile Rivière and sold by his two sons during an auction in 1922, at the Hotel Drouot in Paris. It is made of typical Bergeracois flint.
These items are called Grattoirs de Laugerie-haute (or Grattoirs de Grimaldi) and are small and flat scrapers, made on elongated flakes or small blades. The lateral circumference of these tools is characterized by a continuous, direct, abrupt or semi-abrupt retouche.
These artifacts were especially numerous at Laugerie-haute and part of the Solutrean strata. D. Peyrony suggested, that they were an evidence of an invasion of “Negroid Grimaldiens”- were their skeletons were detected in 1901 in the “Grotte des Enfantes" (Grotta dei Fanciulli). (Balzi Rossi, Italia at the French border).
About the Grimaldi sites at the Balzi Rossi caves (Rochers Rouges)-see here: 1600
Ironically, the items found at the Grotte des Enfantes came from an advanced Epigravettian and would today described as Thumbnail-scrapers.
Therfore such Scrapers are nowadays described as Grattoirs de Laugerie-haute, were they were found in abundance. In the greater Aquitaine, they are only occasionally present in the Upper Solutrean.
„The History of the „Negroid“ Grimaldians": The finding of the first fossil Homo Sapiens at Cro-Magnon , dated to the Gravettian, in 1868 led to the idea that modern man had arisen in Europe.
In Contrast the Grimaldi finds of two Paleolithic Homo Sapiens (Epi)-Gravettian skeletons in the Grotta dei Fanciulli in 1901 were interpreted as ancestral to the "Negroid race", just as a Magdalenian Homo Sapiens skull from Chancelade.
In this colonial and imperialistic world, characterised by the ideology that it was „ the white mans burden“ to „civilize“ the rest of the world, such findings were used as prove of the superiority of the white race.
In this view, the „Negroid“ Invasion of Eurpe failed by the inferiority of the African people compared with the superior Cromagnons.
The Last external link gives us a fatiguing 32 Pages long account about the discussions around the Pleistocene European Homo Sapiens and its suggested „Sub-Races“ during the late 20th Century.
In this overview you can read all about Paleoanthropological theories before the recognition, that Homo Sapiens evolved in Africa and that race is a Social construct but not a biological reality.
And again you will also still find speculations around the „Negroid“ Grimaldi People..
The term "Race" even found its way into official UNESCO Post-war Publications, writen by experts in their field: „in the upper Paleolithic age we first find representatives of Homo sapiens of today; the Cro-Magnon stock (of whom the Canary Islanders, descended from the ancient Guanches, may well be a modern remnant) and the quite distinct Chancelade and Grimaldi races (of a type reminiscent of the Negroid races of today).
In the mesolithic period we find a mixture of races in existence from which there emerged in the neolithic period the Nordic, the Mediterranean and the Alpine types, who, up to our day, have constituted the essential anthropological elements in the population of Europe". (UNESCO 1956)
As described elswhere in this Blog, the term "Race", is beside its deadly genocidal consequences, scientifically untenable- see 1276 . In particular:
- The frequency of different gene variations does not change abruptly between populations. There are no major breaks and no sharp boundaries, but usually smooth transitions
- The apparent differences (for example skin color) wrongly evoke deep-going genetic differences. At least 3/4 of all human genes are the same in all people. Some phenotypic features like skin pigmentation and facial features are overestimated and can easily described as evolutionary adaptions
- In humans, the vast majority of the genetic differences do not exist between geographical populations, but within such groups. The highest genetic diversity is still found today in people on the African continent. This is the continent where the story of Homo Sapiens began
Resources and images in full resolution:
- Image: 2020-04-08_a10.jpg
- Image: 2020-04-08_a11.jpg
- Extern Link: www.researchgate.net…241276825_Rasse_in_der_Ara_der_Genetik_Die_Ordnung_des_Menschen_in_den_Lebenswissenschaften
- Extern Link: www.fli.de…Jenaer_Erklaerung-2019.pdf
- Extern Link: www.quartaer.eu…1983_04_roth.pdf