2019-07-29 10:46:36 • ID: 2110
Early Flake Scrapers of N/W-Europe
Figures 1-4: This is a large lower or middle Paleolithic Scraper (11x9x2 cm) made from a thick cortical flint flake (Figure 3) with a pronounced butt.
Made by hard hammer technique, It shows invasive, sub-parallel, semi stepped retouches on three margins.
It could been have made by a "Clactonian" or even by the late middle Paleolithic "Quina" technique.
It was one part of the Collection J. Boisgaard (found before 1930) in the Indre et Loire region. We miss further contextual information.
Such implements are part of the Acheulian ensemble at « La Grande Vallée » at Colombiers in Vienne. Archaeological, pedostratigraphic and TL results suggest an age for this lithic industries between 400 and 500 k.a.
There are also links between the « La Grande Vallée » and other, non dated industries of the Vienne and the Poitou-see 1587 .
Passing the English Channel- High Lodge in Suffolk shows a very peculiar industry without any Acheulian component, exclusively consisting of finely made Flake implements, with many parallels to the artifact of this post. Handaxes from the site are chronological more recent and are from a derived context.
At High Lodge the oldest sediments at the site, which include the Flake-Ensemble, consist of clayey-silts laid down as overbank sediments from the Bytham river, dated to MIS 13 or older. A pre-Anglian age is also supported by the remains of Stephanorhinus hundsheimensis.
The fauna and flora indicate a cool climate with vegetation dominated by pine and spruce together with juniper and heathland plants. The floodplain contained pools and marshland with seasonal flooding from the nearby river.
Over 1200 fresh flint artifacts were recovered from the clayey-silts, consisting of flakes, scrapers, notches and cores, but no evidence of handaxe manufacture (Ashton 1992).
Suggested Reading: High Lodge: Excavations by G. de G. Sieveking 1962-8 and J. Cook. Edited by by N.M. Ashton et al. 1992
Resources and images in full resolution:
- Image: 2019-07-29_like_mildenhall1.jpg
- Image: 2019-07-29_corical.jpg
- Image: 2019-07-29_sl160017.jpg
- Image: 2019-07-29_like_mildenhall.jpg
- Extern Link: www.researchgate.net…250723172_The_Acheulean_site_of_La_Grande_Vallee_at_Colombiers_Vienne_France_stratigraphy_formation_processes_preliminary_dating_and_lithic_industries
- Extern Link: www.researchgate.net…49625111_Scraper_reduction_and_imposed_form_at_the_Lower_Palaeolithic_site_of_High_Lodge_England
- Extern Link: www.ahobproject.org…showSite.php?View=GEN&LocNum=26&More=True