2019-05-18 17:09:26 • ID: 2103
Late Neanderthals at Bons-Tassilly
These are two 10-11 cm long Handaxes from Bons-Tassilly. One Item is seconarily modified into an ad-hoc cleaver by detaching a broad tranchet blow as seen in Figure 2.
The Lower Normandy (French: Basse-Normandie) is a former administrative region of France, but the term is still broadly used.
The region includes three departments, Calvados, Manche and Orne.
In the Normandie archeological sites are preserved in natural “traps” like cliffs, granite passages or hollows, and sinkholes.
Only a minority of the sites are in primary position, many are in secondary position. The level of reconstruction of the paleoenvironmental and regional paleogeographical context is generally “partial” and “fragmentary”.
Bons-Tassilly / Le Châtelet was detected by the Physician and Author of successful Books about Prehistoric artifacts and their function: Dr J.-L. Piel-Desruisseaux during the early 1980ies ( J.-L. Piel-Desruisseaux, Outils préhistoriques. Forme-fabrication-utilisation).
Several thousand artifacts, among them hundreds of Bifaces were detected and tentatively, on geomorphological grounds, dated to a phase between 80-40 k.a. (MIS4/3).
The debitage is shows an Uni- and Bi-polar Levallois approach. Scrapers are the most common unifacial tool class.
Handaxes are small, among them (Sub)-Cordiform and (Sub)- Triangular artifacts are the most common.
Overall the ensemble has a workshop character similar to sites that belong to a cluster of middle Paleolithic production sites in the Normandy.
Saint-Brice-sous-Rânes, la "Bruyère" (Orne) is the most prominent of these sites, but has another character of the debitage system (non-Levallois).
About the Bifacial Mousterian in N/W-Franc see here: 1179 , 1250 , 1585 , and here: 1077
Resources and images in full resolution:
- Image: 2019-05-18_tassilly_1.jpg
- Image: 2019-05-18_tassilly.jpg
- Extern Link: www.google.com…url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=2ahUKEwiYr7mVq6XiAhUJsaQKHQ6NBKIQFjAHegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjournals.openedition.org%2Fquaternaire%2Fpdf%2F6755&usg=AOvVaw2ZujtB64RyGPdjkZ_k8wSb
- Extern Link: www.researchgate.net…251037345_Technologie_du_debitage_laminaire_au_Paleolithique_moyen_en_Europe_septentrionale_Etat_de_la_question
- Extern Link: www.researchgate.net…30435687_L'abri_sous-roche_du_Rozel_France_Manche_un_habitat_de_la_phase_recente_du_Paleolithique_moyen_dans_son_contexte_geomorphologique
- Extern Link: www.google.com…url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiPzfOghvjjAhV-AWMBHU90DlgQFjAAegQIABAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjournals.openedition.org%2Fquaternaire%2Fpdf%2F815&usg=AOvVaw2VJNToRItZQt0GT8vcs6VJ